Little Fella's First Birthday Cake


I can't believe that our little fella turned one yesterday.

I have no idea where the last year has gone, but I know that what I have at the end of it makes me very proud and a very lucky mummy.


I tried making Sam's birthday cake and then decorating it with sugarpaste - this is the first one I've attempted. I made my normal chocolate cake (find the recipe here).


I crumb coated it using some chocolate buttercream, then used some coloured Regalice in turquoise and orange to create a present effect.

Sorry - couldn't get to it to take a decent daylight photo before it was eaten!
I was pleased with how I managed to smooth the blue over the whole cake - as long as I used patience and gently smoothed it into place it didn't break. I made spots for the 'paper' and a matching bow and gift tag, which I then painted Sam's name on.


It's not perfect I know, but for a first attempt I was really pleased with it and so thought I would share it with you.


It was, of course, more for us than Sam. But I think he enjoyed his first taste of chocolate cake.



Happy Birthday Sam.

I can't wait to see how the next year goes.

Love,

Mummy x

Comments

  1. Brilliant attempt! Gorgeous cake. Happy Birthday Sam!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Iris - he (we) had a lovely day :)x

      Delete
  2. A fantastic first attempt, I think it would take me 10 attempts to get my cake anyway near as good as yours x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you Miss F - maybe I just had beginners' luck? :) x

      Delete
  3. That last photo is brilliant. Sam definitely looks like he enjoyed his chocolate cake. Your cake looks lovely, certainly doesn't show that it's your first attempt at sugarpaste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo - he does look so happy doesn't he?

      I was pleased with how the sugarpaste went. I've only used it for making flowers or leaves using cutters before - never tried a whole cake. Was worried about smoothing it so you don't get folds. I'm relieved it turned out OK. :)

      Delete
  4. This looks great! What wonderful colours - Sam looks like it was perfect for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - that's lovely and I'm glad you like it. I thought they were a bit garish at first, but they definitely grew on me. :)

      Delete
  5. Your cake looks pretty perfect to me...I can't believe it was your first attempt! Lovely idea to make a little parcel too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura - I have a long way to go to match your creations, but I was pleased with my first go. :)

      Delete
  6. There are two things about this post that I don't believe! 1) it was your first attempt. 2) it's not perfect. Looks pretty darn perfect to me! I absolutely love present cakes, and with dots on even better! Gorgeous photo of the two of you aswell. Happy birthday Sam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks Kim. I did nearly have a disaster as the buttercream began to soften the sugarpaste and I had massive bubbles over the surface. Managed to remedy that, though, so it didn't show. It was definitelky a learning experience! :)

      Delete
  7. Happy birthday Sam - what a lucky boy to have such a gorgeous cake for his first birthday. You've set a precedent now and he'll want one every year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CC - my other two have already put in orders for theirs so I will definitely have lots of practice.:)

      Delete
  8. Happy (belated) birthday to Sam! What a gorgeous cake - you should be proud of yourself! I can't wait to see his 2nd birthday cake :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ros - I think I'd better get planning it now ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment

I know it's a nuisance but I have had to reinstall 'captcha' due to spammers.

However, your comments are very much appreciated, so please leave a comment if you'd like. I'll respond as soon as I can :)

Popular Posts